Android is one of the widely used Linux-based operating systems. This popular open source operating system is used for smart mobile phone and tablets. In 2007, the very first beta of Android i.e., Android Software Development Kit (SDK) was launched. This powerful Android software kit enables the application developers to create mobile apps which can support Android platform.
Also Read: Android Introduction
On the other hand, the first commercial version, Android 1.0 came in the year 2008. After which, Google has continuously released various improved versions of this interesting mobile-based operating system. The current Android version is Android 8.1.0 “Oreo”, released in December 2017. In totality, till now, there are 15 major Android versions which are given below in a tabulated form.
|Platform Version||Version Code||API Level||Release Date||Remarks|
|Android 1.0||Base||1||September, 2008|
|Android 1.1||Base_1_1||2||February, 2009||a.k.a Petit Four|
|Cupcake||Android 1.5||3||April, 2009|
|Donut||Android 1.6||4||September, 2009|
|Eclair||Android 2.0 – 2.1||5 – 7||October, 2009|
|Froyo||Android 2.2 – 2.2.3||8||May, 2010|
|Gingerbread||Android 2.3 – 2.3.7||9 – 10||December, 2010|
|Honeycomb||Android 3.0 – 3.2.6||11 – 13||February, 2011|
|Ice cream Sandwich||Android 4.0 – 4.0.4||14 – 15||October, 2011|
|Jelly Bean||Android 4.1 – 4.3.1||16 – 18||July, 2012|
|KitKat||Android 4.4 – 4.4.4||19 – 20||October, 2013||KitKat 4.4W for wearables only|
|Lollipop||Android 5.0 – 5.1.1||21 – 22||November, 2014|
|Marshmallow||Android 6.0 – 6.0.1||23||October, 2015|
|Nougat||Android 7.0 – 7.1.2||24 – 25||August, 2016|
|Oreo||Android 8.0 – 8.1||26 – 27||December, 2017||Latest version|
Why Opt for Android?
There are a number of reasons why Android is considered as one of the most powerful operating systems. Below are the reasons for it.
* It is an open source operating system. This means that you can get the Android source code for free.
* The Android market is flourishing with each passing day.
* Various devices work on Android platform and thus, you get the options to choose the appropriate device according to your necessity. This implies that you can go for a stylish looking metal body smartphone to a rotating camera smartphone. You can also opt for edge screen phone to big screen phone.
* By now, you must be aware of the fluctuations in the prices of the mobile phones. The Android mobile devices come in multiple ranges and hence, it suits your pocket too.
* It is very easy to customize your Android phone. You can have install and download numerous live wallpapers, user interfaces, alternative keyboards, and several other tools.
* It also supports multitasking.
* It also provides you a rich development environment.
* Android undoubtedly have captured a major global market. Even, its success ratio is also high.
Features of Android
In this section, we will be listing out a number of features which makes this versatile mobile-based operating system different from others.
* Amazing Graphical User Interface
The basic Android user interface is easy-to-use and offers a variety of gestures and touch options.
Android devices support various connections which include Bluetooth, NFC, Wi-Fi P2P, USB, and SIP, in addition to standard network connections (GSM/EDGE, CDMA, IDEN, EV-DO, UMTS, LTE, WiMax).
This operating system uses SQLite which is considered as one of the most lightweight databases. This relational database is used to store data.
* Android Media Formats
Android support wide-range of media formats which include audio, video, and image.
Under audio, it supports media formats like .3gp, .mp4, .m4a, .aac, .flac, .mp3, .mid, .xmf, .mxmf, .rtttl, .rtx, .ota, .imy, .mkv, .wav, and .ogg.
Under video, it supports media formats like .3gp, .mp4, .webm, .mkv, and .avi.
Under image media formats, it supports .bmp, .img, .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, . png,and .wbep.
The Android-enabled touch phones work properly on a multi-touch feature.
As already mentioned, the Android mobile phones offer the users liberty to jump from one application to another at the same time without even interrupting the first application.
7.Widgets Resizing Is Possible
On Android platform, it is very convenient to resize the widgets according to your suitability. For most of the widgets, there are various sizes are provided.
8.Supports Multiple Language
These platforms support both single direction and bi-directional text.
9.Google Cloud Messaging (GCM)
GCM is a wide-spread Android service which helps the users to send short messages to other Android devices without any beforehand syncing.
With the help of this feature, Android users can instantly share files by tapping one NFC-enabled mobile phone to another. It uses NFC-based technology for the instant transfer of files.